“THE IMMOVABLE” By Pastor YAU
Psalm 19:7-14; 2 Corinthians
3:3 New Year:
1) The removable: We have heard from the news a number of reports about the efforts to remove monuments of the Ten Commandments from public places in this country. It is regrettable to see things like this happen because the Ten Commandments represents the righteous laws of God and “righteousness exalts a nation.” (Proverbs 14:34) I believe that the removing of these monuments is a reflection of a nation that is drifting further away from God and His law and the crumbling of moral foundation of our society.
2) The immovable: But there is one enduring monument of the law of God that can never be removed: the truth of the Bible written by the Holy Spirit on the hearts of millions of faithful followers of Christ. (2 Corinthians 3:3) Those who have kept the words of God in their hearts, live their life by the truth and committed to spread that truth will never be removed by the hands of men. Monuments built and fell, come and gone; but the truth of the Bible written in our hearts will endure forever.
REASONS BEHIND THE REMOVAL: These are only samples.
1) Separation of Church and State: The most cited reason for the removal of monuments of the Ten Commandments and other symbols of Christian faith is the theory on the “separation of church and state.” Most constitutional scholars agreed that there is NO mention of this phrase in the Constitution. The Constitution guarantees religious freedom of the church and independence of the government without the interference of the church as it was the case in the European Continent at the time of independence of this country. When this nation as founded, the reverence of God and His word as the foundation of liberty was evident in many documents and speeches of early presidents including President Lincoln. It was never the intent of our founding fathers to push God and His word from public places such as government buildings and courthouses.
minority rights: This is the second
most cited reason for the removal of monuments of the Ten Commandments. On
3) Liberal activist judges: There are many liberal judges who do not believe that the foundation of the American judiciary system has its root from the Bible and the justice of God. These judges want to see a humanistic judiciary system based on human mind and circumstances. That’s why they ruled it unconstitutional to allow Bible study groups in schools but in favor of seminars on gay life style. Judges like these and other progressive secular activists love to see this nation become a completely humanistic, no-God nation.
culture war: There has been an anti-Christian culture war in
this country for many years but it has become more active and bolder in recent
years. For some years, government offices, public places like libraries and
parks, schools and stores had put up their decoration at Christmas time with
words like: HAPPY
WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS?
hope: While I am writing this
message, Dec. 13, the “Christmas in
torch: When we toured Europe last
year, we had visited many beautiful churches and cathedrals: St. Mark and St.
good news: The fact
4) Upholding the Bible: Everything in this world is changing: from values to customs, from cultures to politics. No one is sure what is right from wrong any more. Everything is permissible as long as it is protected by the Constitution. Some people believe that there is no such thing as the standard by which we measure moral or ethics. But we Christians are to uphold the Bible as the supreme authority for our life and faith. We need to devote time and energy in studying the Bible to know God and His will in our life, in things we do, in direction we choose and in values we build our family and society. Never allow the secular world and its philosophy to dilute our belief or alter our direction of pursue. Whenever you have a doubt, always go to God’s word to find out what He wants you to do or where to go.
WHY IS THE BIBLE SO GOOD? (Psalms 19:7-14) Because …….
1) The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. When your soul is confused and not knowing right from wrong, go to the Bible.
2) The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making the simple wise. If you can’t trust anyone to make a good decision, go to the Bible.
3) The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. If you are sad in your heart, go to the Bible.
4) The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. If you can’t see what your future may hold, go to the Bible.
5) The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. If your mind is clouded with impure thoughts, go to the Bible
6) The ordinances of the Lord are sure, and all together righteous. If you don’t know which way is right, go to the Bible.
7) They are more precious than gold, no riches in this world may give you eternal life but the Bible can.
8) They are sweeter than honey, the word in the Bible will sooth your soul if you taste its flavor every morning with devotion time.
9) The Bible keeps you from doing wrong, so you will receive rewards from God when you see Him.
10) The Bible will keep your thoughts and actions upright so you will stand tall before man and be acceptable before God.
CONCLUSION: God’s command to Joshua 1:8, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it.”
1) Your New Year resolution: I am sure we all make resolutions at the turn of the New Year. Have you made that to read the Bible more regularly in depth and taste how sweet the words of God are to your spiritual life? I want to encourage you to make a commitment: make it your personal goal for the New Year to have a time daily for Bible reading and prayer. If you have never tried it before, today is the day to begin.
2) Keeping the fire burning: The fire of truth in the Bible can only be burning bright if we are fervent in reaching the unsaved, teaching our children to know God, keep our faith strong in good time and bad time. Just like Paul, we need to do our share faithfully.
3) Best guide you need: If you feel the need of having a guide to help you go through life more effective, meaningful and productive, you have one: the Bible. Seek God’s guidance and make a commitment to follow through and you will be in good hands, the hands of the Almighty God.