“THE PARENTS DAY” By Pastor YAU
Text: Ephesians 6:1-4 June 7, 2009.
1) History of the Parents Day: Like many other churches, this church used to celebrate the Mothers Day in May and the Fathers Day in June. But shortly after we moved into this facility, the idea of combining the tow separate celebrations into one big event called The Parents Day. The purpose is to show the appreciation of the church to all parents and grandparents on one day so they all will be recognized and honored for what they have done for their children and grandchildren. The Parents Day is unique in this church and it is a good thing to do.
2) Why the Parents Day? Just as the society sets a special day to honor parents and grandparents for their contribution, sacrifice and unlimited love to their children and grandchildren, we also want to do the same for these great benefactors. On top of this, we do this to follow the command of God in His to His chosen people and to all Christians: Honor your father and mother, and by extension, grandfather and grandmother. To take things for granted, be it from God or from parents is not Christian practice. That’s why we have Thanksgiving Day to honor God and this Parents Day to honor parents and grandparents.
FAMILY, THE FOUNDATION:
1) It all began with God: “Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man and he brought her to the man. The man said: This is now bone of my bones and fresh of my fresh and shall be called woman.” (Genesis 2:22-23) There won’t be any Mothers Day, Fathers Day or Parents Day if God did not make a man and a woman and put them together as a couple. A marriage of a man and a woman is foundational social unit from which societies and nations were founded. God has the most right and position in family, marriage and society when we celebrate days of recognition.
2) It’s a man and his wife: “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife and they will become one fresh.” (Genesis 2:24) If a marriage were not between a man and his wife, a woman, how can they become parents and grandparents for occasions like this? The issue here is not about “freedom of choice” by men or women, it is about God’s command for the first couple “be fruitful and multiply in number, fill the earth and subdue it.” (Genesis 1:28) Any other form of man-made union of woman to woman or man to man is against God’s call of a marriage and family.
Family, no replacement: Ever since the creation
time through all generations in all cultures and countries, marriage and family
is the backbone of society, community, nations including singles who are part
of his/her parents’ family. Without a strong foundation of marriage and family,
there won’t be stable society in which to raise children. Prior to the WWII in
PARENTS, THE PILLARS:
1) A prestigious status: Almost in all cultures, ancient and modern alike, to have children is a sign of special blessing and honor. Even the Bible specifies that having children is like receiving heritage from God. (Psalm 127:3) Even though modern culture supports those who choose to have no children, having children still is an occasion for celebration.
2) A precious opportunity: Nothing we have done or achieved may come close to the privilege and opportunity of raising children. The opportunity, the privilege and the joy and aches of raising children is so unique that no other life experience may compare. From the time of conception to the pregnancy, from birth to the growing process, every step everyday provides unique and fresh outlook of life. In a way, children are like a fresh piece of canvas, waiting for someone to draw, paint and display the art of growing. This experience is more enjoyable if you raise your own children and grandchildren.
3) A serious responsibility: We all know that opportunity and responsibility are both sides of the same coin. You can’t just have one and not the other. Raising children is fun, privileged but is also a heavy responsibility. Both the Bible and the society demand that parents be responsible for their children in their needs, development of personality and character. Parents play a heavy row in the formation and endowment of their children. Their efforts, life examples, everyday interaction with their kids help to form and mode their children. Christian parents have one more responsibility: leading their children to know God.
CHILDREN, THE CROWN JEWEL:
1) They are precious: All children, born and unborn, are precious to God and to their parents and the society, at least it should be that way. Parents, family and society should do the utmost to protect and provide for babies and children, the most vulnerable and defenseless. Babies and children are living beings. They are not merchandise for our convenience or pleasure.
2) They need training: “Training a children in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6) “Train” here refers to the way a child would live his/her life. So this is about moral, ethical and character training. All children need to be trained to know right from wrong, good from bad and the importance of obedience to authorities: parents, teachers and others. Above all, they need to learn to know God and believe in Jesus Christ for salvation and godly principles of life.
3) They are the future: Be it a family, a business, a school or a nation, our children hold the key to what a family, a business, a school or a country will be in 10, 15 or 20 years. They need to see their awesome responsibilities in all these areas. If they want to see everything gets better and higher for themselves and others they need to be better people with higher value, character and purpose of life. Having a dream is one thing. To make a dream come true is quite another. Your future is in your hands.
1) Time to thank God: To have a family, a good marriage, parents and grandparents and children is a blessing of God and no one should take it for granted. Make God the true head of your home and life is very important to all Christians. Apply biblical principles in our family life is a safeguard for happy family life.
2) Time to thank parents: No one can count all the sacrifices, the love and all the things parents do and give to their children. Do not take parents and grandparents for granted. Always be thankful, kind, respectful and helpful to parents at home and elsewhere to show your gratitude for all they do. Be good and do well to bring honor and pride to your parents.
3) Time to treasure children: Children are gift of God to us for life. But they may not be with us all the time. So, do your very best to treasure them, enjoy them, train them, discipline them and help them in their life journey. Above all, teach them about God and the Bible. Help them learn to know God and find salvation. This is the most important treasure and heritage parents may leave to their children. Never ignore or neglect their spiritual life.